- Therapy and Pharmacologic Agents
- Surgical Attack
- Chemical Therapy
- Targeted Treatment With the Use of Medicaments
- Mode of Life and Folk Remedies
- Stop Alcohol Consumption
Therapy and Pharmacologic Agents
There are many attributes, which form the basis of patients` treatment: area and phase of the throat cancer, the type of cells, general well-being of a person, personal considerations. Each patient should discuss all advantages and disadvantages of his/her treatment with the doctor. Thus, they can select the optimal therapy for the patient.
Beam-therapy applies high-intensivity beaming from X-rays and protons to attack cancerous cells with radiation destroying them.
Beam-therapy can be produced by a big device outside your body (external beam radiation). Apart from that, beam-therapy can be delivered by little radioactive seeds or wires inserted into the patient`s body close to the cancer (contact radiation therapy).
At the initial phase of throat cancer, beam-therapy can be the only required treatment. For further phases of this type of cancer, beam-therapy can be used in combination with chemical therapy or a surgical attack. At the latest phases of throat cancer, beam-therapy is usually applied to diminish sings and symptomatology and make patients feel more comfortable.
The kind of surgical attacks, which can be used for throat cancer treatment depends on the area of cancer and its phase.
Options can be the following:
- Surgical attack in case of initial cancer phase. Throat cancer, which is limited by the throat surface or vocal folds, can be treated by endoscopy. In this case, a doctor inserts a cavascope into a patient`s throat or vocal apparatus. Then, special surgical tools or a laser are applied. Thus, the doctor can scrape, cut out or vaporize (with the help of laser) various cancers.
- Surgical attack, which excises the entire or a part of the vocal apparatus. This treatment is applicable in case of smaller tumors. The doctor leaves as much vocal apparatus as possible. Thus, your ability to speak and breathe normally can be kept.
- In case of larger, widespread tumors, the excision of the whole vocal apparatus can be required. In this case, the trachea is attached to a hole (stoma) in your throat. Thus, you can breathe normally. Afterwards, each patient can deal with a special-needs expert to learn to speak without his or her vocal apparatus.
- Surgical attack, which excises a part of the throat (pharyngectomy). It is usually applied in case of smaller throat cancers. Excised parts can be restored to allow patients to swallow food normally.
- Surgical attack, which excises the most part of the throat, implies the excision of the vocal apparatus. However, the doctor can restore the throat in order to provide you with normal swallowing.
- Surgical attack, which excises cancerous lymph glands. It is usually recommended in case of deep invasion of your neck by cancer. Thus, the doctor can see if lymph glands contain malignant cells or not.
Surgical attack brings a risk of escape of blood and infection. Other complicating disorders as troubles while speaking or swallowing will relate to the specificity of the surgical attack.
Chemical therapy is based on the use of pharmacologic agents, which destroy malignant cells. This type of treatment is generally used in combination with beam-therapy, because there are chemical therapy medicaments, which make cancerous cells more receptive to beam-therapy. However, this combination of therapies intensifies their bad effects. Therefore, it is recommended to bring all possible bad effects up with your doctor in order to understand if acquired benefits weigh down bad effects.
Targeted Treatment With the Use of Medicaments
Targeted medicaments` effect is based on their hability to impact defects in cancerous cells. Thus, they prevent their growth.
Cetuximab is one targeted pharmacologic agent, which is recommended for throat cancer treatment. This drug blocks certain protein, which is found in both healthy and cancerous cells, but it is more prevalent in some types of malignant cells.
Other pharmacologic agents are being studied in clinical investigation. Targeted medicaments can be combined with chemical therapy or beam-therapy.
There are some complicating disorders, which require the work with specialists. They should help to restore your swallowing ability, as well as ability to eat solid food and speak.
Thus, you may opt for their help in the cases of:
- The care of a surgical opening in your throat (stoma) if you had a tracheotomy;
- Eating difficulties;
- Swallowing difficulties;
- Stiffness and pain in your neck;
- Speech problems.
Bring all possible bad effects connected with your treatment up with your doctor.
Mode of Life and Folk Remedies
Throat cancers are closely associated with smoking. However, not everyone, who smokes, has throat cancer. To avoid this hard disease, stop smoking right now.
There are several reasons for this:
- Smoking militates against the effectiveness of any treatment.
- Smoking hinders your healing after a surgical attack.
- Smoking raises the likelihood of getting another cancer in future.
Of course, stopping smoking is hard, especially in a stressful situation. Therefore, try to discuss with your doctor even such aspects, as pharmacologic agents, nicotine replacement products and advising.
Stop Alcohol Consumption
Alcohol raises the risk of throat cancer, especially in combination with smoking or chewing tobacco. This is a great reason to stop drinking it right now. Moreover, this can decrease the risk of the second cancer. And if you stop consuming alcohol, you can come through your treatment with a bigger success.